Monday, September 10, 2012

NEXT NOVEL MAY ADDRESS THEME "DISPLACED"

* Thinking of expatriates, immigrants and displaced persons as a theme for my next novel. Especially the internally displaced.
* Intriguing to note that skilled professionals working in another country are described as *expatriates,* while others not-so-skilled may be called *immigrants.*
 * Some how makes me think of the introduction I had to Asian Subaltern Studies via the work of Ranajit Guha and Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak - much of which I've forgotten - thoughts not so deep anymore.
* Subalterns can be seen as non-elites striving for social and political change - not necessarily through uprisings or demonstrations.
* Must not turn the novel, if I pursue it, into an academic discourse --
* Then comes the question -- is living in a social network a form of displacement? Or colonization?

No comments: