Thursday, February 05, 2015

"EDDIE REHBERG, ANIMATED CARTOONIST" -- OIL PASTEL DRAWING ...

New one -- "Eddie Rehberg, Animated Cartoonist," oil pastel on 9" x 12" mixed media paper -- incomplete but I'm letting it be ...


(c) 2015 Wes Rehberg
This portrait lends a history of his bout with tuberculosis that hospitalized him for almost four years during the 1940s, his start with Max Fleischer in Los Angeles in the ‘30s, his firing by Paul Terry for union organizing, his blackballed years when he lived alone in a NYC hotel room, his work with Reed Ray in Minnesota, and his finish with Hanna-Barbera in California, a career redemption as an animation cartoonist and director. My brother, mother and I did not live with him from my age 6 on. He and my mother, who also worked in the animation industry, separated. Years later, he fathered my half-sister, Lori, now an illustrator, a little before my daughter Stacey was born. My kids met him. There’s ironic gaps in all this.


No comments: